come some up a music...

Monday, June 13, 2005

Masters of the Universe



"By the power of Grayskull...I have the power!!!"

Nope this post is not about how little boys fantasize over He-man...



So what if you are the Masters of the Universe?

I had a rare chance to be having a one on one supper with ah pa.

Over the plate of mixed-grill, ah pa said,

"Wah, your attachment finishing soon? Going to final year, thats fast!"

and of course ah pa said those in mandarin.

I replied, "Ya lor..."

"Planning to further your studies after you graduate?", ah pa questioned.

It was obvious that ah pa wanted to sponsor me to further my studies. Perhaps because he still wanted to work and not retire so soon. He once told me that he planned to retire from work after i have completed my degree, since my elder brother is already married and business these days is kinda hard to go by. It seems like a good time to enjoy life after working hard to have both of his sons throught tertiary education.

I never really thought ah pa would say this to me. It not that i have not thought about furthering my studies by doing a masters degree. I actually thought of doing something totally different from engineering. I need to experience something outside of engine. MBA sounds nice.

But somehow i just do not really want to use my parents hard earned money on my personal pursuits.

I did not want to reject ah pa's well intentions directly, and said "See how lor".

Actually i thought if i did well for the degree and the school wants to sponsor me, i will take it. But then, my grades does not seem to really fit the deal. Much more wannabes out there to fight it out with me.

Or if my future company wants to sponsor me, i will take it. Hmmm, but then life as an engineer?

...Sianz. Hedious. Hectic. Monotonous. Bleak.

Especially after attachment, i finally realise why there is always a need for engineers.

During my freshmen days, i always like to jeer this fren of mine who had the intention of doing an MBA after graduation.

"Siao ah, study so much for what? So what if u as "Masters" of the Universe?".

At that time i had this impression that university would be the last leg of the paper chase, finally the end to gazillion years of endless studying of books. Like to study so much meh?

Come to think of it, ya lor, maybe after graduation, i will just forget the idea of being any Master.

What about Kungfu Master or Masters of the Seas or Old Master Q... ?

Nah,

I'll be a hawker and fry char kway tiao.

I remembered during one of the recent Miss Singapore Universe QnA, one of the gals said if she was left with only $2, she would go buy char kway tiao leh. Ya, maybe she would patronise my store and can delevop some romance from there.

WOHO! Swee.

But of course, i did not want to tell ah pa my Master of Char Kway Tiao dream. I know what to say and what not to say to avoid any lecturing of how difficult life is to be to own a business, how studying for so long and having a degree would have a secure job...

blah blah...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home