come some up a music...

Sunday, July 31, 2005

艺心艺意



艺心艺意

A great programme on channel u showcasing local artists in Singapore with a different theme each week.

Got a glimpse of the tv highlights for the new episode in the coming week, featuring work of arts of local architects and on art work on local buildings.

Got me thinking the life and path I would be walking now if I had chosen to take up a degree in architecture rather than an engineering degree many years back.

I seriously pondered why I had thought of such stupid things.

Back to the days while I was in JC, I had always wanted to be an architect. JC is the time when people start to ask what course you wanted to do in the university. I just got the thought of doing architecture. Since I used to like to draw and be creative back then, from the influence of a tv programme I saw when I was young. That particular tv show, taught kids to draw, to shade, drawing aliens, futuristic buildings, guess I got hooked and was influenced in some ways. I remembered I kept a sketch book for the drawings I learnt from the tv. I even got addicted to a point to have dinner infront of the tv while watching the show.

The idea of doing a degree in architecture soon faded as I heard of the number of years to complete the course and to be a full-fledged architect in Singapore.

6 years.

I counted the number of years in National Service (NS), with the number of years in the course, by the time I graduated, I would be damn old le. Some how I felt it was too late a time to step out into the world and start building a career. At the same point in time, some of senior friends advised on the future of the world, the world with technology, the world where one who could control or have master over technology would thrive and be successful in life. Thus the course of engineering paved new light to the dim situation I was in.

Bachelor in Engineering, a shorten version, B.ENG, as to Ah BENG?

4 years to honours and whats more with lots of friends suffering doing the same course too. Why not?

So I took up engineering.


If someone has just told me to go on and pursue my dreams back then.

Gave a shove at the back, a gesture of encouragement and support.

Maybe I would be pursuing a degree in architecture now.


I would be NUS than in NTU.

Clementi than Boon Lay.

Not in archery, maybe in some mountain climbing club? Climb some mountains maybe rather than shoot some birds?

In a class with more chic girls than in a class of full of geeky guys?

Drawing buildings than drawing circuit boards.

Calculating dimensions of furniture than calculating bandwidth gain.

Comparing the best color for a particular wall than analyzing waveform for a particular signal.

Life would totally be different.


Fate.

That is what I like to call it.

I always like to say that life is already pre-designed and pre-planned. All paths are already laid and we are just following this pre-planned path. There is no wrong choice or wrong decision, we are just falling into the path that was pre-planned for us. The only thing that we can choose is how fulfilling, how fruitful and how exciting we want this journey in life that we are following to be. Make the best out of the decision made.


Enough of day dreaming.

Tutorials starting next week. Sianz.

Catch 艺心艺意, every Thurday 930pm on channel u.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home